Advantages and Disadvantage of the Tabletop Exercise
The tabletop exercise is the most common kind of training exercise conducted by corporations and governments. It is a very useful training tool that has both advantages and disadvantages, as summarized here:
Advantages of Tabletop Exercises
- Requires only a modest commitment in terms of time, cost, and resources.
- Is an effective method for reviewing plans, procedures, and policies.
- Is a good way to familiarize key personnel with their roles and responsibilities.
- Is an opportunity to build trust (team building).
- It stimulates thought processes.
- Helps focus the team within a specific situation (scenarios such as cyber)
- Helps identify any issues, challenges and / or assumptions.
- Helps identify resources necessary to overcome any issues, challenges and / or assumptions.
- Helps identify means of overcoming any identified issues, challenges and / or assumptions.
- An opportunity leaders to practice their crisis management leadership skills.
Disadvantages of Tabletop Exercises
- Lacks realism and thus does not provide a true test of a crisis, emergency, security or business continuity management system’s capabilities.
- Provides only a superficial exercise of plans, procedures, and team capabilities.
- Does not provide a practical way to demonstrate system overload.