In episode 83 Rob covers the 12 essential steps for a crisis communicator to take during a cyber breach crisis. These steps can be used in any crisis not just cyber. Rob refers to the eBook that The International Crisis Management Conference put together a few years ago. We added the link to the eBook in the show notes.
- Make sure you, as the Head Communicator, are part of the Crisis Team.
- Centralize Communications.
- Identify stakeholders impacted by the crisis.
- Craft Your Crisis Messages Following These Principles
- Make Employees Your Highest Priority Audience.
- Issue a Holding Statement that Names the Incident as soon as possible.
- Prepare tough Q&As (for internal use).
- Ensure Tight Coordination of Communications with Other Agencies Involved in the Crisis.
- Utilize Credible Third Parties to Support Your Position.
- Aggressively and Systematically Monitor.
- After the Crisis.